On the way to Uncle Tan's Wildlife Camp, we cruised on the Kinabatangan River for about an hour before turning into this unmarked gap in the bushes.
Watch a bit of the jungle boat ride
The river level was relatively high, so some of the trees were standing in the water. It was shady as the branches met over our heads.
In a few minutes, we arrived at the camp. The two buildings straight ahead are the public areas of the camp, for dining and relaxing.
The staff showed us (and two other couples) to our cabin. The cabin contained three stacks of foam mattresses, each with a mosquito net. The openings on the mesh are about an inch across -- enough to keep out monkeys, but not bugs.
The camp does not have running water.
The dining area was open-air and looked out toward the water.
Shortly after our arrival, a large monitor lizard strolled across the volleyball court and under the dining area.
There were lots of long-tailed macaques around the camp. This one stole some potato chips that were left unattended.
Before dinner, the head guide went over the schedule for the standard 3 day, 2 night stay at the jungle camp: four boat safaris and two jungle treks.

Night boat safari

The guides brought big spotlights on the night boat trip, and looked in the trees for birds and sleeping monkeys.
They found several sleepy monkeys and this kingfisher sitting on a branch above the water.

Morning boat safari

The next morning, we went on another boat trip just after sunrise. We saw lots of monkeys and birds.
This is some sort of eagle.
Proboscis monkeys are found only in Borneo. The local name for these monkeys is the same word the Malay used for Dutchmen.
Male proboscis monkeys have ridiculously big noses. They even have to move them out of the way to eat.
We saw several species of hornbills, but this was the most common.
One of the bolder macaques stole a can of condensed milk from the dining area. He couldn't figure out how to get the milk out, and poured a lot of it on another monkey sitting on the ground below.
You can see the milk all over the monkey of the left. The monkey on the right has figured out how to get the milk.
Paul attempted to sneak up on the monkeys to get closeups like this. Shortly after that, a couple of monkeys bared their teeth and ran toward him; Paul beat a hasty retreat.

Morning jungle trek

After breakfast, we went on a walk near the camp with the guides. The trail was marked with splotches of paint on the trees, but we were glad the guide knew where he was going.
They pointed out all sorts of interesting things, such as this millipede. The guide asked everyone if they wanted to hold it; we didn't.
We're not sure how the guide found this tiny frog on the jungle floor.
There were lots of these millipedes on the trunk of a fallen tree.
The spines on this tree were very scary.
This is a view of the jungle surrounding the camp. A number of the trees contained epiphytic ferns and orchids.
In the late afternoon, we went for another boat ride on the main river. The light was pretty as the sun started to go down.

Night jungle trek

At night, we went on a hike with the guides. Even though it was very dark, they spotted lots of wildlife.
This is one of the bigger frogs we saw.
This is a whip scorpion on a tree. They're not really scorpions -- they don't have stingers, but they can spray an acidic substance from their tails if bothered.
This is a real scorpion. The guide asked if anyone wanted to hold this one; we didn't take him up on it.
Here's another tree frog that the guides found when their lights reflected in its eyes.
This spider was probably five inches across. Fortunately, it was high up on a tree so the guide did not try to hand it to us.
It's a sci-fi cricket. This cricket looked like it was made of plastic.
This bird appears to be folded because it's attempting to sleep (while several people take flash pictures).
This centipede was about six inches long. We didn't want to hold this critter either.
Monitor lizards can swim. Little kids who visit the camp often report seeing dinosaurs in the water.

Morning boat safari

We didn't see as much wildlife on our second morning boat safari, but it was nice to be in the boat (and the cool breeze).
Our last morning, it started out foggy before clearing up. Most of the monkeys we saw were still sleeping.
These four silver leaf monkeys (count the tails) were still asleep when we cruised by them in the boat.
Our cabin (complete with drying laundry) is the first one on the right.
This was our bed. They gave us fresh sheets, but the foam mattresses were not particularly fresh.
We're heading back out from the camp to the main part of the river (and toward a shower!).